We offer a variey of field studies at our conservation areas and outreach programs in your classroom. Programs are free for McHenry County schools and we begin scheduling on the dates listed below. Click the picture to view or download our guide, or request a copy be mailed or emailed to you by contacting us at (815) 479-5779 or email Education@MCCDistrict.org.
Registration begins at 8:00 a.m. on the following dates.
Refer to the guide for the appropriate contact information and telephone numbers.
Fall 2017 Field Studies and Outreach Programs | Registration Begins May 10, 2017
Note: We begin scheduling out-of-county schools for field studies (outreach programs are not available) two weeks after these dates. The cost is $40.00 per class of 12-35 students. Exceptions to this minimum group size of 12 may be made for special needs students or home school groups. In these circumstances the fee is $2.00 per student.
Preparing Your Class for Field Studies
To ensure the best experience possible for everyone, please note the following:
1. Make sure the bus driver knows where to drop off and pick up the class, as we offer field studies at several different areas throughout McHenry County.
2. Make every effort to arrive on time. We often have programs scheduled immediately following yours.
3. Field studies are conducted rain or shine. Students and teachers should dress for the weather. Consult your school or group weather policy and contact the education center you are scheduled to visit to discuss a weather-related cancellation.
4. A ratio of 1 adult to 10 students is recommended. In addition to monitoring student behavior, adults are expected to participate in all aspects of the program. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate children who are not students in the class. When recruiting adult helpers please be sure they understand this rule.
5. A sick child is the responsibility of the visiting group. Prepare ahead for such an event. We will provide a quiet area for a child to rest. However, direct supervision of the child is the responsibility of the group.
Preparing Your Class for Outreach Programs
The key to preparing for outreach programs is to let the program leader know how the program fits in your curriculum. Are you introducing or reinforcing an existing unit, or do you need assistance with ideas for classroom activities that will build on our program? Knowing the material the class has covered on the program topic allows the leader to tailor the presentation accordingly.
Download Pre- and Post-Activities
After you have scheduled a field study or outreach program, we encourage you to download the corresponding teacher packet from the links below. If you prefer to receive hard copies of this material, notify the program leader when you schedule the program.
Outreach Program Teacher Packets
Field Study Teacher Packets – Prairieview Education Center, Crystal Lake
Field Study Teacher Packets – Lost Valley Visitor Center, Ringwood
LEED Certified Building Tour – packet available at a later date
Predator-Prey – packet available at a later date
Festival of the Sugar Maples Event (March dates at Coral Woods Conservation Area)