Geocache / Letterbox
Geocaching on McHenry County Conservation District property - due to the similarity, all rules apply to Letterboxing as well:
- Follow all District rules and regulations - all geocaches are required to be 12 feet or less from a designated trail. You may leave the trail for the cache as long as you are within the 12'
- Geocaches may not be affixed to any natural or man-made structure with the exception of magnetic caches. Magnetic caches cannot be placed on any electrical boxes, pipes or other mechanical structures.
- Light pole caches ("lpc") are not allowed
- Certain areas may be closed to geocaching for a variety of reason
- Permission must be obtained prior to placing a cache.
Cache Your Way Across McHenry County
Each year the District puts together a Cache Your Way Challenge. The program typically runs from August 1st thru November 30th. Complete the program and claim a one of a kind, limited edition District GeoCoin.
The District also maintains an ongoing GeoSeries, Cache Your Way Across McHenry County, highlighting the BEST spots throughout the McHenry County Conservation District. A GeoCoin is available for the completion of this program as well.
We also have a Cache Your Way Across McHenry County Facebook Group.